Welcome to your new home… your backpack.
This sturdy, lightweight contraption is your new friend and travel companion.
You guys will get along great if you plan ahead and pack appropriately.
But try to cram in everything you own plus the kitchen sink and… things might get a little rocky.
Minimalism is the lifestyle of choice for digital nomads and world travelers. No need to pack everything, just exactly what you need.
When figuring out what to put in your backpack, remember that airlines have size limits for carry ons.
Use The Impact Test to whittle your packing list down.
Here’s a list of everything I’m bringing:
- 1 Tortuga backpack (44L weighing 3.65 lbs)
- 1 waterproof backpack shell
- 1 Macbook Air (weighs 2 lbs)
- 7 pairs of Exofficio lightweight underwear (could get by with less but they’re light and don’t require much space)
- 3 pairs of socks
- 2 pairs of breathable Exofficio undershirts
- 2 pairs of Under Armour gym shorts (multifunctional: running, going casual, or for swim trunks)
- 2 pairs of Exofficio Bugsaway pants (ultra-lightweight plus bonus of built-in bug repellent)
- 1 pair of Vibram running shoes (what better way to get to know a place then by running it?)
- 1 extra big sleep mask and earplugs (I need these for any hope of sleeping on planes)
- 2 TSA-approved Master locks for keeping my backpack secure
- 1 microfiber quick-dry towel (the type swimmers use)
- 1 brimmed hat to keep my pale face from catching on fire
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 Joby tripod for my phone (this guy’s tiny, not convinced it’ll work great but I’m giving it a shot)
- 1 lightweight drawstring gym sack (for occasions where bringing the whole backpack doesn’t make sense)
Plus a few small items for staying fit while traveling.
I’m using packing cubes to keep everything organized and a nylon sac for holding toiletries. I wasn’t convinced I needed them at first but now that I have them I’m never going back.
Total weight: 28 lbs.
Ditch the fitness gear and you’ll shave off about 4 lbs.
Don’t forget that most small items and toiletries can be purchased after you arrive.